Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A "Running" Epiphany...

1 Corinthians 9:24
Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.--

Hebrews 12:1
Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.

I have been thinking about these verses a lot lately...they often come to mind while I'm running and it gives me something to think about other than how tired I am :) When we started training for out first 5K we could barely run 1/4 mile without stopping...I have been thinking of that in comparison to life and how sometimes we set out on the race set before us and in our flesh can't make it on our own- we get distracted by the other "runners" or we are weighed down by our own sins and flesh. But one thing I have learned about running- it's such a mental thing... We often have to encourage each other to keep going "you can do it we are almost there" is something we say a lot.. I need to work on
applying that to life and encouraging each other "we are almost there...our goal...do not give up."...In a race or while we run I often times just want to stop..and sometimes in life it's easier to make wrong choices or not go out of our way to put others first...but that's not what we should focus on...our life on earth is just a breathe...so short....a 5K in comparison to a Marathon...can't we put our own wants and selfish desires aside for a short time? James 4:14--whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.

Today I want to go back to the starting line with my mind set on the correct goals in life-
Colossians 3:2--
Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

Not on my own- I can't do it on my own- only through Christ who gives me strength (Phil 4:13)

And I'm not saying it's easy- I may stop and need to catch my breathe at times, I may trip and fall, I may need to start the race back at the "starting line" ...just like how I have awesome running buddies to encourage me and keep me motivated- God has given me awesome people in my life to help me stay on course and I am so thankful for that :))

Ready, Set..... GO!

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

- Abbie :)


1 comment:

  1. Abbs, what wonderful thoughts.
    I am so proud of your running -but even more of the way you have applied what you are learning to your walk with the Lord! I may never be out there on the race track with you (it's hard for me to breathe), but I am inspired by your example.
    Love you so much.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete