Friday, December 30, 2011

Courtney's Take On Our First 5k

Our first 5k. I remember it well. It was the third annual Allen ISD Eagle Run,benefiting the Schools in Allen.

We spent much time training for that run. The place we chose to train was a marked mile and a half run. So we had to do it twice. Like Abbie said running is very much a mental mind set. And for me running around that course two times right in a row was enough to take over and make me want to give up.
I suggested that we run across the finish line and then turn around and go the second time backwards.

Don't be silly you know what I mean. We ran the course from finish to start we didn't actually run backwards.

We did as suggested and that is still how we do it.

We trained and trained on that course. Fartleking,working up to our three mile goal. Pretty early on I began having an ache in my right shin. Just a dull throb. I noticed that as I ran the ache would subside and only come back when I stopped running. The first few steps I could feel it and then it would just go away. I was running in some old shoes that were not made for running so I blamed them. I went to Academy and tried on pair after pair of shoe until I found a pair that didn't hurt when I took a step. I bought them and was proud that they were pink.


I kept running. Working past the first few steps of pain,reaching our goal and then celebrating at the finish line by saying ouch a lot and trying to make the pain in my shins (it was both at this point)go away.

I noticed that there would sometimes be some red streaks running up the front of my shins but I kept on running.

I began reading on shin splint injuries. Started doing lots of extra calf stretches all though out my days. I iced them and elevated them after runs and pressed on. We had a 5k coming up and I had work to do. I started wrapping them during the day in ace bandages as tightly as I could or I couldn't really walk. Putting pressure on my legs meant shooting pains in my shins. I knew it was there but I just thought it would get better as I continued training and became a better runner.

When we ran we quickly fell into what in my mind I called the triangle. Abbie and Missy out front talking,me the point of the triangle in the back rocking out to my ipod.

One day Missy and I were on the second half of our course and she was pretty far ahead. She had increased her speed to cover up a knee pain she was dealing with. I told myself to "Speed up,just get this done. It will make the pain go away too." when I fell. One minute I was speeding up the next I was on the sidewalk.

I felt an intense pain in my right hand that was under me,I imagined all my fingers were broken. I rolled over and looked at it and saw one whole entire fingernail was gone. Well,it was there the tip of it jabbed into the end of my finger but it wasn't connected. My right knee was scraped up as were some of my other fingers.

I got up told myself to breath and took the shortcut to the finish where Missy sat waiting. She was relieved to see I hadn't been kidnapped. We left my van and she drove me home. We had to wake everyone up,get them dressed and then try to find an open emergency clinic. I can tell you they don't open very early. We had to wait in the parking lot until 8am. I think I was in shock a little. I just remember being very cold and shaky. I just waited in the car looking at that nail,I couldn't bear the thought of someone taking it off.



Warning: Skip the next photo if you get sick looking at things like torn off fingernails. Sitting in the car waiting I decided to document my ordeal using my phones camera.



                                                  

When I finally saw the Dr. I said "Can you numb it before you touch it?" Please and Thankyouverymuch. He numbed it and we soaked it and he pulled it off and wrapped me up.

Here I am all wrapped up. I know! That's is? I didn't get a fancy splint,or a sling or a cast or anything! It sure did hurt a lot for a piece of gauze and a couple of go rounds with some sticky wrappy stuff. 

Missy and Shiloh needed to head to work so Missy's husband John came over for the day and helped me with my kids. With only my left hand to use I was pretty limited on what I could do.

Thanks,friend!

There are lots of theories on why I fell.

Maybe I tripped? No,when you trip you suck in your breath and get startled and say to yourself "I'm falling!"

Maybe the pain in my shins was too much and my body couldn't take it? No,I have a pretty high pain tolerance and whenever I feel pain I do a quick comparison to what I have felt during labor. Had I felt that I would have stopped. And still I would have tried to catch myself.

Maybe I passed out? Probable. I didn't know I was falling. I only knew,now I'm running now I'm on the sidewalk. I must have been taking a step with my right leg because I fell on that knee and my right hand was under my stomach,fingers straight into the ground. But there was no black fuzzy feeling in my head. I've never passed out before maybe there is no black fuzzy feeling?


*****************************************************************


I told all that to say that happened two days before our big run. I couldn't really even put my hand down because of the throbbing but I decided I wasn't going to miss our race. I've never taken so much ibuprofen. Not when my legs were hurting or anything but because I was on it for my finger it also helped my legs and I didn't feel any pain during our run!

This is me just before our run. 'Scuse my hair...I couldn't make a proper pony tail with just one hand.



And maybe because there was no pain or maybe because we ate two cliff bars before our run but during this race even though we still formed our triangle I was the point in the front.

Eat my dust Missy and Abbie. ;) Just kidding. I didn't really even notice until Missy pointed out later that they were having to keep up with me. I was just energized by all the people and the music and the cliff bars and the lack of pain and it felt easy.

We had never run the .1 of a 5k until race day. I guess we were saving it but it was the hardest part I think. We came up a big hill *oof* and rounded a curve and there was the finish line. I sped up and still came in last (of the three of us)but still reaching my personal goal of 'anything under 35 minutes'.

My time was 33.54. I came in 14th in my age bracket,316th overall.

Abbie's time was 33.53 11th in her age bracket,315th overall.

Missy also finished in 33.53 20th in her age bracket 314th overall.

Someone shoved a water bottle at me and I just focused on trying to breath.

We were all so surprised. Our 3 mile runs on our marked course usually took us 40 minutes or more. We realized later how many hills our training course had and shared a giggle for making so much extra work for ourselves.

We snapped this photo just before the run. It would become tradition,trying to get just the right amount of shoe in the frame.



It was a good first race. And the waffles and pedicures after were pretty hard to beat too.


Here is the info on this year's Allen ISD Eagle Run. It is a good course,it makes a big loop and there is only small bit that you have to run twice. They had good snacks,muffins and bananas. There was plenty of water. It's high energy at the beginning with loud music and school mascots acting silly in the street. It's cold though so take some extra time and warm up.


Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment