Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Two Year Run-iversary

Happy two years to us! It was two years ago that Abbie,Missy,and I decided to become runners. We've run many races together,acquired quite a variety of t-shirts,accomplished goals we set out to accomplish,and have gained lots of knowledge in the process.

For instance:

1~Dealing with shin splints or plantar fasciitis is no excuse to quit. I dealt with both of these for many months. While the plantar fasciitis was more of a nuisance reserved for mornings just after waking,shin splints were a different story. Sometimes hurting only when running,sometimes aching for days after a hard or long run,sometimes hurting too much to even walk. I used many methods to deal with my shin splints. Here are some do's and don'ts that I found to be helpful.

Do stretch more. Use many good calf stretches to stretch often and everyday. Not only on days just before or after a run. But don't leave those out either.

Do invest in a good pair of compression shin sleeves to add support while running. Don't wrap them with ace bandages for a race. Too tight and the cramps will force you to stop. Don't be afraid to wear your sleeves everyday under jeans if your shins are achy and walking is painful. They are sold individually because some people only have trouble with one leg but if you need two (as I did) do buy two different colors. It will look super sweet when you run.

Do make sure you are wearing the appropriate running shoes. At first I just ran in whatever I found under my bed (that was covered in dust bunnies),then I went to the store and tried on pair after pair until I found a pair that I could trot around in and sharp pains didn't shoot up my shins. Don't do that. Do go to a store where they watch you run and evaluate your step and set you up with what will work for your feet and your gait. Don't be picky about the style and color.

Do allow yourself time to heal and don't run past the pain. Do keep up your training with a fast pace walk,you won't forget how to run and your body won't either.

Do elevate and ice your shins after a run or whenever they are achy. It feels nice.

Do use ibuprofen to reduce swelling and to help with the pain but don't use it so much that you simply can't feel the damage being done to your legs. That will never do.

I took weeks off from training several times and I always came back to run whatever Missy and Abbie were running.


2~Music is a miracle. We all ran together for well over a year with out using ipods or music of any kind. We talked a lot. A. Lot. But often we did get separated from each other. Just because we train together doesn't mean we have similar paces. Each of our comfort zones and natural speeds are different. If you don't have a competitive spirit or a stubborn determination,running quietly in the back of the pack alone with your thoughts and heavy creepy peeping Tom breathing probably isn't going to work for you.

Abbie got her ishuffle (tiny music) first. She brought it along to a few runs but didn't always turn it on. When she did,we noticed quickly that she took the lead. Which is and probably always will be Missy's spot. And so when she turned to us exclaiming of it's amazing-ness we each took a turn trying it out. Whoever had the ear buds in took the lead,letting the catchy beats muffle our breathing and propel our feet forward. Somehow you forget you are tired. You can't hear your own negative thoughts (I can't...huff puff) and suddenly you are tuned in thinking the artist must have written this song specifically for you and specifically for this run.

I will,Pink. I will try try try!


That's right. Just because it burns doesn't mean your gonna die. And if you run to music you may not even notice it's burning.

Now we all have an ishuffle and I highly recommend it. It holds plenty of music for long runs,it's light,and it can clip anywhere. In case you are wondering,Abbie's is pink,mine is blue,and Missy's is green.



3~Diet is just as important in your training as the actual running. For me I've noticed how true this is. I went on an extended juice fast for almost three weeks and during that time I didn't run. I thought I wasn't supposed to and I didn't even try. When I came back from that fast I noticed I felt lighter and faster. Anytime I pay close attention to food and don't eat breads,pastas,meats,sugars,and dairies I can tell a difference when I run. It's just easier. More recently I've discovered that I can run while juicing and that I get my best times that way. I have TONS of energy when I'm not digesting food and itch to go out and run fast. While training for our half marathon early last year I kept to a diet of mostly salad after my juice fast. I didn't want to undo all that I had done during those 18 days so resisted carbing up before our race. I think it was helpful for me as I didn't feel slug-ish or heavy during our first 13.1 mile run. I can compare it to my second half marathon when  I was basically eating anything I wanted including pie the night before and that run was so slow and icky feeling. Everyone is different but you probably know your body better than anyone so don't be afraid to do what you think will be best and try lots of different things.

So what can you use for energy (besides pie and everything I listed above as no-good for me foods)?

Try these:



Our family calls them power balls but you can shape them anyway you want. They can be an alternative or an addition to gus and chews. In honor of our two year run-iversary I made a batch shaped like hearts for both Missy and Abbie. 


And packed them individually in sandwich baggies.


Keep them in the freezer and bring one along in your pocket. But the time you get to mile six it will have thawed and I promise it's better than a raspberry gu.

Eat them before a big race,during a long run,or for a mid morning pick me up.

 Using nuts and nut butters for protein,honey for energy,dried fruits for a natural sugar rush and chocolate bits for a brain watering surprise,these puppies can really keep you going. Just ask my two year old who was given two and then sneaked the last three one day last week and was then up until 1 am.

Whether you have been running for a few days or a few years you will want to eat these.

Here is how to create them.

Mix together equal parts honey,and a nut butter of your choice. Warm slightly in the microwave and mix thoroughly but don't get the mixture too hot.



Run some oatmeal and nuts through your food processor until it looks like this. 



At this point you can add dried fruit,chia seeds,flax seed,coconut,or anything else that comes to mind.

Then mix the two together. You want it to be moist throughout so that it can be shaped easily.



Then add your dark chocolate bits,test it with your finger first to make sure it isn't too warm. You don't want your chocolate to melt...unless you do,then go for it. 


...and that's it! The hardest part is not eating them all right away.

Though right now we aren't able to run together we still challenge each other and have found ways to challenge ourselves. 

Listen to your body
Find what motivates you
Challenge yourself
Eat a healthy diet
and soon you too will be on your way to running a marathon.

I'll leave you with these last few bits of knowledge.

~running in the rain is hard

~train on hills sometimes,most races have hills and you will be glad you did

~follow a 3 day a week schedule and you will soon be ready for any race

~the medal at the end is worth it,so don't give up no matter how hard you bonk ;)

~invest in good equipment

~drink lots of water everyday,it can be the difference between a good run and a bad run

~sign up for runs that sound fun to you or support causes you are passionate about

~don't let anyone tell you wearing a camelbak is nerdy



Happy Two Year Run-iversary,Missy and Abbie!




~Courtney







No comments:

Post a Comment