Friday, January 25, 2013

Six Mile Sunday

Long silent pause over!

What was that all about?

Anyway,maybe you're wondering what we have been up to.

Well, Abbie has moved far far away from our small town to a land that is not so flat after all. I know that because we ran a very hilly half marathon there not too long ago. And Missy is expecting! So our running,like our blogging seemed (for a bit) to have come to a screeching halt. But that is not really the case.

While Missy has slowed the tempo,she still makes time weekly for walking long distances. As any pregnant Mama should. :) And I know that that can count as training just as much as running does because I have dealt with shin splints in the past,pausing my running but still walking,and was able to come back to running as easily as I had left it. Sometimes I walk a bit with her and then run a bit alone.

The three of us are determined not to stop running and find many ways to keep ourselves motivated.

Abbie and I have a bit of competitiveness built in and we design solo runs (of specifics lengths and/or times)  on cute days,and then we text each other with our challenges. That along with our tiny musics is enough to inspire and encourage us to get the job done.

What't that? Oh,a cute day/run (according to Abbie,who loves her some cute numbers and will chose things like wedding dates and apartment numbers based on the level of cuteness) is say a 1.2 mile run in under 12 minutes on 12-12-12. 


Hmm? Good grief,try and keep up people. Tiny musics are our ishuffles that we pack with the music to our ears that is also motivating to our legs,which additionally covers the sounds of our breathing therefore distracting us in a way that allows us to run faster. We have tested this theory and I will write more about that later.  

Recently Abbie decided six miles(for the sixth) would be cute. The weather was nice, cool and sunny. Really perfect running weather.

Minutes before I set out for my jog I realized my phone had a red battery which would mean no pandora...or run keeper. Yikes! That would never do. So I grabbed my ishuffle/tiny music and headed out thinking I would let my phone charge while I ran a two mile loop. Come back home,grab some water and my phone and set out once more for the last four miles.

With my ear buds in once again set off.

My ipod was dead.

Yikes. Again.

So...plan C.

I grabbed Shiloh's phone which had a yellow battery (one step up from red),plugged in my phone and ipod to charge, turned on pandora but not run keeper (to save power),and again set out on my two mile loop. I did the loop hoping toward the end that his battery did not die because I really wanted the music to stay on.

It lasted just fine and then I stopped off at my house,traded phones,grabbed my ipod,took a drink,texted Abbie and another friend I was making plans with,drank more water,set up run keeper and pandora,and headed out again for the last four miles.

Heading out a different way for a change of scenery I found my groove. My pandora station seemed to be settled into a pattern of Fun,Mumford and Sons,and Of Monsters and Men. It lasted for a good mile and a half before I lost a signal. Thankfully run keeper held on. I switched to my ipod(that's why I bring two)leaving run keeper on in my pocket though I couldn't hear the updates,and had this series of thoughts:

This is the sidewalk where Abbie,Missy, and I coined our running name and decided we needed t-shirts.

That is the fire station where the firemen told up to 'keep it up,ladies'
and so we did

Cute store! I'll come back and shop later...

OK,car,don't back up yet.

Who is this dude dancing in the street?

I'll eat my gu at 4 miles.

I don't like raspberry gu so much...

I'm glad I'm not running around that track 24 times...

I really wish my ear buds would stay in...


I guess I would have to say it was a cute run after all.

Thanks,Abbie!

-Courtney







No comments:

Post a Comment