Sunday, April 1, 2012

Chasing The Night

Last night the road runners ran for the first time with someone outside our usual group. Three someones actually. Part of Abbie's family,her father her brother and one of her sisters joined us at the third annual firefly run in Plano. However her whole immediate family was in attendance for moral support. Her mother her other sister and her brother-in-law. Oh and her hubby Blake. Missy's husband John also joined the cheerleader section adding extra support.

I had thought about how nice it must be to have family on the side cheering for you coming out to maybe or maybe not catch a glimpse of you as you along with throngs of other people pass the finish line. But it wasn't until I typed the sentence Oh and her hubby Blake that I realized that I did indeed have family there. It's not that I forgot he was my brother I just think to have described him first as my brother and then as Abbie's hubby wouldn't have been as smooth a transition for writing purposes to then tell about Missy's husband John being there.

Just rambling here. I guess I mean to say that I suddenly realized I did have my own sort of personal cheerleader there (of the blood related family sort) and that makes me happy. Although next time Blake could you wear that little red and white skirt and top combo and bring your pom poms?

Thanks bro.

We had an excellent time. Last year we ran a 10k at the firefly and it was our first and it took long and we missed the after party. We finished just in time to catch them dumping out the ice. We had an impromptu party of our own and took advantage of that pile of ice. Sticking our tired swollen feet in and letting our melody of 'aaahhhhhhhs' float off into the night.

The memory of being cut off from running the .2 because they needed to re-open the road and not truly finishing sticks with me.

But this year...this year was good. They only offered a 5k and we could relax as a 5k length race has become an easy race for us. We each casually mentioned to our husbands how this race was 'no big deal' or how it was 'just a little 5k' and each of our husbands reminded us that they remembered a time not too long ago when we sang a different tune.

That reminds me of huffing and puffing just trying to get to that blasted half mile mark on the sidewalk. One of us thought surely someone must have misplaced the mark. Or moved the sidewalk.

When I say easy race I mean to say easy distance. I wouldn't describe last night as easy. The runners all 7000 of us breathing in and out the same air made for a stifling run. Running hard the first mile dodging the walkers and strollers. Worrying about the little ones,hoping no one would trample them. Trying to remember the turns so we could save some distance and hug the corners. Avoiding stepping on dropped glow sticks.  Focusing on getting to a place where the people would thin out a bit,giving us some elbow room while also trying to stick together. Taking turns being in the lead. Who ever found a hole to dart into would shout an 'over here' or 'this way'. Continually checking in with one another Is Courtney here? I'm here! Where's Beth? I'm not sure I don't see her!  When it's dark and everyone is blinking or glowing you learn to look for clues. Missy: clump of glow sticks in her pony tail,blinking on her left arm. Abbie: belt of flashing lights,her pony tail swish a familiar sight. Beth: tall,look up. :)

After that first mile we spread out some. I was alone for a bit. Then I spotted Abbie and Missy. I ran hard to catch up. I relied on the entertainment from the man dressed in a grass skirt shouting from behind me telling us all to not give up and saying something or other about margaritas. Then an unexpected fire truck and ambulance distracted us and we all had to scrunch right letting them pass. A right turn,I hugged the edge. I lost sight of anyone familiar and was alone. Third mile done and in the home stretch. Someone said my name and touched my back. I thought it was Beth. It was Abbie. Not sure how she got behind me but glad she was there. I tried to get myself into our normal competitive end of the race show down but the air was hot and sticky and sucking air took precedence. She went ahead. People started shouting at us,we were almost done. I told myself speed up you might shave off some seconds and meet your goal! But the heat got to me. I didn't slow but I couldn't sprint it. I just wanted it to end.

I heard my name from the sidelines. I looked and feebly waved in response. I saw the clock. I heard the beep and then Missy was there. Someone gave me water and we moved away from the crowd to try to spot Abbie.

I'm always so glad when it's over but after I catch my breath and can feel the breeze again I wish I had just given it a little bit more. One extra umph.

It took a bit to re-organize our group. When we all came together some exciting news. Abbie's brother who had decided to start near the front instead of in a pack of sardines had placed 79th over all! Finishing in 22 minutes and some change. 79th out of 7000 is really really great. Oh to be 17 again.



Our finishing times if you care to take a look are below:

Anselm-22.45
Missy-30.41
Abbie-32.02
Courtney-32.08
Beth-36.34
Mr. Bradley-40.07

Great job everyone! Now when is our next race?

{Courtney}


1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Court!!! I liked reading your perspective on our race. :)

    ReplyDelete